There are so many details to handle as you prepare for a move. It can seem like a daunting task. This checklist will help you manage the process and not forget anything.
The Important Stuff
- Call utility companies (electric, gas, water, cable) to cancel your current services and sign up for services in your new home.
- Notify your insurance companies and get them ready to cancel your Home Insurance
- Collect all of your important documents – birth certificates, passports, medical records, and carry these with you instead of packing them.
- Have any necessary prescriptions filled and carry the medication with you.
- Precious items such as jewelry or your family photo albums should also carried with you instead of packed along with other household items.
Packing and Moving
- If you’re hiring a moving company, get a firm bid in writing.
- Try and consume canned food and frozen items before the move.
- Drain gasoline from your lawnmower. Drain any water from your garden hoses.
- Dispose of any flammable or hazardous items. Do not move these if they can be easily replaced.
- Moisten plants before moving.
- Pack a “first night” box with coffee, bedding, household cleaners, toothpaste and toothbrush, pet food, and other essentials that you expect to need upon arrival.
The more organized you can be in your packing, the easier it will be to unpack and settle into your new home. It’s also the best way to make sure you don’t lose or break anything during the process. Here are some basic reminders on how to pack well.
- Don’t use damaged boxes.
- Use quality movers tape to secure items properly.
- Don’t put heavy items in large boxes.
- Put heavier items at the bottom of a box and label these boxes as heavy.
- Have a packing plan. Use color coding or clear labels.
Before You Leave
Conduct a last-minute walk-through. Check drawers, closets, the basement, and the garage.
Make sure everything is turned off and locked up.
AFTER THE SALE
Moving is often a chaotic yet exciting event in your life. After the big moving day, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you. Unpacking is just the first part of the battle. Next you’ll need to get your regular routines sorted out and make sure everyone in the family feels comfortable in the new home.
With all of the changes and the responsibilities of a big move, it’s easy to misplace important items and make mistakes. To help keep your life in order, be sure to keep these things on your to-do list!
Securely store these records:
- Your closing statement
- Property deed
- Receipts for home improvements
- Warranty information
- Loan papers
- Insurance policies
Change your address
Start with USPS to make sure that all your mail is getting forwarded and you don’t miss any important mail or bills. You can do this online at moversguide.usps.com.
Once this is done you’ll also want to update your address with:
- Credit Cards
- Insurance Providers
- Department of Motor Vehicles (Driver’s License and Car Registration)
- Voter Registration
- Online Vendors (Especially with automated payments)
Congratulations on your move!